The 2020 college baseball season is already off to an exciting start, with a plethora of chaos early on in the year.
Who would have thought that Stanford, ranked No. 17 to open the season, would start off 1-7 on the year? Did you see Tennessee reaching 8-0, with a win over Texas Tech? How about Tulane, Long Beach State and UCF entering the rankings in February?
Well, the answer is no, you probably did not. And if you did, you should be covering the College World Series in Omaha this summer.
But we’re not here to just talk about the roses and thorns of a young baseball season. We’re here to recap what happened on another wild Tuesday in midweek baseball. Let’s get to it.
Photo Credit: Clarion-Ledger
- Texas Southern upsets No. 10 Mississippi State on the road (8-4)
- UT Arlington outlasts No. 17 Dallas Baptist at home (6-3)
- No. 6 Ole Miss rallies to defeat rival Southern Miss at Swayze (4-3)
- No. 20 Arizona State rallies to defeat New Mexico State in extra (6-5)
- No. 25 Long Beach State continues hot start with win over San Diego (10-3)
- No. 10 NC State remains perfect with 11-0 rout of UNCW
- No. 15 Texas A&M remains perfect with 4-0 win over Houston Baptist
- No. 16 Tennessee remains perfect with 15-1 drubbing of Northern Kentucky
- No. 3 Georgia, No. 4 Texas Tech, No. 5 Vanderbilt, No. 7 Louisville, No. 13 Georgia Tech, No. 18 UCF, No. 21 ECU and No. 24 Auburn all cruise to easy victories.
The biggest storylines of the day came from Starkville, Mississippi and Arlington, Texas on Tuesday, where a pair of upsets in the Top 25 took place.
Texas Southern, 0-9 entering its game at Mississippi State, managed to hang on for a convincing 8-4 win against the Bulldogs. This was the second straight loss for State, who was previously undefeated on the season. Of all the upsets to occur in midweeks this season, this was probably the most surprising.
State will have a chance to rebound on Wednesday, hosting Alcorn State in need of a win. The Bulldogs currently sit at 5-2 on the season, with series victories over an under the radar Wright State squad and a talented Oregon State Beavers team.
Over in Texas, the UT Arlington Mavericks caught Dallas Baptist a bit off guard, evening the season series between the cross-town foes at 1-1. The Patriots defeated the Mavericks 4-0 at home last week, before falling 6-3 on the road last night. UT Arlington is now 6-2 on the season, with a trio of games coming up against Utah this weekend. After the Mavericks battle the Utes, they’ll travel to Fort Worth for a significant challenge at TCU next Tuesday.
Photo Credit: UT Arlington Athletics
Meanwhile, Dallas Baptist will host Arkansas State for a three-game series this weekend, hoping to rebound from a midweek loss to UT Arlington. After a massive series win in Chapel Hill, the Patriots slipped to 6-2 on Tuesday. If all goes well for Dallas Baptist over the weekend, the lone loss to the Mavericks will likely be forgiven, however.
For everyone else playing on Tuesday, there wasn’t all that much drama. Ole Miss and Arizona State had to rally late to avoid upsets, but everyone else cruised through a break in their often challenging schedules.
Make sure to follow along with Southern Slams throughout the season, as we bring you the latest college baseball storylines from around the diamond.